Trump Threatens Iran With ‘1,000 Missiles’ If Assassination Attempt is Made
President Trump issued the warning as new questions emerged about alleged Iranian plans targeting the president and the already fragile relationship between Washington and Tehran moved closer to another dangerous confrontation.
“1,000 Missiles are Locked and Loaded and aimed at the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Trump wrote in a Truth Social post. He claimed thousands more could follow if the Iranian government carried out or attempted an assassination.
Trump also said military orders had already been issued and would remain active for one year, with the possibility of an extension. He warned that the United States was prepared to strike Iran on a devastating scale. The message was not framed as a warning about an attack on American troops, an embassy, or a military base. Trump tied the potential response directly to an attempt on the life of the sitting president.
Trump tries to leave Iran no room for doubt

The White House from Washington, DC, Public domain, via pexels
The scale of Trump’s language appeared designed to establish an unmistakable line for Tehran. By naming a specific number of missiles and claiming that further weapons were immediately available, Trump sought to convince Iranian leaders that even an unsuccessful assassination attempt could trigger overwhelming retaliation.
However, the president did not publicly identify the types of missiles involved, their launch locations, or the specific targets that would be struck. His statement functioned primarily as a public deterrent, with the operational details remaining undisclosed.
The warning followed a brief Fox News video segment discussing reports that Israel had passed intelligence to the United States about a possible new Iranian assassination plan. The report described the threat as part of Tehran’s long-running desire for revenge over the January 2020 killing of Iranian military commander Qasem Soleimani.
Soleimani, who commanded the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps’ Quds Force, was killed in a U.S. drone strike in Baghdad during Trump’s first administration. Iranian officials and military figures have repeatedly vowed retaliation.
The assassination threat has a documented history
The possibility of an Iranian-backed operation against Trump is not based solely on political rhetoric. In November 2024, federal prosecutors charged Iranian national Farhad Shakeri in connection with alleged murder-for-hire activity. The Justice Department said Shakeri told investigators that the Iranian Revolutionary Guard had instructed him to develop a plan to kill Trump.
The alleged assignment was given on October 7, 2024. Shakeri remained in Iran, while two other men accused in related operations were arrested in New York. The charges were allegations, and the defendants were entitled to the presumption of innocence.
Federal officials said the alleged activity formed part of a broader Iranian effort to target American officials, Iranian dissidents and other perceived enemies abroad.
That history gives Trump’s warning more weight than an ordinary exchange of insults between rival governments. American law enforcement agencies have previously treated Iranian plots against senior U.S. figures as credible national security threats.
The newest concerns intensified after reports that Israeli officials had shared intelligence suggesting Iran was considering another plan to target Trump. The White House had not publicly confirmed the intelligence in detail.
Iran’s new leader promises revenge
Trump’s statement came as Iran’s new supreme leader, Mojtaba Khamenei, promised to avenge the death of his father, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
The elder Khamenei was killed during the opening strikes of the latest war involving Iran, the United States, and Israel. Funeral ceremonies held across Iran featured banners and signs threatening Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
“This revenge is the will of our nation and must certainly be carried out,” Mojtaba Khamenei said in remarks broadcast on Iranian state television.
The Iranian leader did not publicly announce a specific assassination operation in those remarks. Still, the combination of revenge language, previous alleged plots and threatening messages at the funeral events has sharply increased concern in Washington.
Trump has attempted to answer that uncertainty with a warning built around certainty: any move against him, successful or unsuccessful, would carry consequences for Iran.
A president cannot create an automatic revenge strike
Trump’s claim that military orders have already been issued raises an important constitutional question. A president can direct the military while serving as commander in chief. But if Trump were killed, presidential authority would immediately transfer to Vice President JD Vance under the constitutional succession process.
Vance would then become commander in chief and decide how the United States should respond. He could carry out the retaliation Trump described, alter the military plan, or choose another response entirely.
The United States does not have an automatic “dead man’s switch” that launches attacks when a president dies. Military action would still require authorization from the living president and the appropriate chain of command.
That distinction matters because Trump’s warning may create a powerful expectation of retaliation, but it cannot legally bind a future president after power has transferred.
The statement therefore serves as both a military threat and a political message to Vance, the Pentagon, and Iran. Trump is making clear what he believes the American response should be, even though the final decision could belong to someone else.
Trump’s threat is meant to deter, but it could also escalate
Trump’s “1,000 missiles” warning reflects his familiar strategy of using overwhelming threats to discourage an adversary from acting.
Supporters may view the statement as providing necessary clarity. From that perspective, Iran is less likely to pursue an assassination if its leaders believe the survival of their military and government infrastructure could be placed at risk.
Critics may see a different danger. Publicly threatening widespread destruction can reduce room for diplomacy and create pressure to follow through if an incident occurs, even before responsibility has been conclusively established.
The greatest risk may come from the space between deterrence and miscalculation. Trump wants Iran to believe retaliation is guaranteed. The constitutional system, however, ensures that no attack would be completely automatic if the president were killed.
For now, the message from Washington is still unmistakable: an Iranian attempt on Trump’s life would not be treated as an isolated criminal act. The administration is presenting it as a potential act of war, with consequences that could extend across Iran and reshape an already volatile conflict.
