Trump Administration Revives Long-Dormant Terrorism Court in First-Ever Deportation Case 

Spread the love
historic-courthouse-clock-tower-in-waxahachie-texas
Photo by Gavin Young from Pexels

A federal court created three decades ago to handle some of America’s most sensitive terrorism-related deportation cases has finally received its first application. 

The Trump administration is asking the Alien Terrorist Removal Court to approve proceedings against an unnamed noncitizen accused by the government of conduct connected to terrorism. 

The case is largely sealed. The person’s identity, nationality, immigration history and alleged actions have not been made public. 

That secrecy places the court in unfamiliar territory. It must weigh national security claims that rely on classified evidence while protecting the legal rights of a person facing possible removal from the United States. 

The case could also determine whether the long-unused tribunal becomes a regular part of President Donald Trump’s immigration enforcement strategy. 

Justice Department files historic first application 

The Justice Department submitted its application on July 15, 2026, according to the court’s public docket. 

It was the first filing of its kind since Congress created the Alien Terrorist Removal Court in 1996. 

The publicly available version of the application reveals almost nothing about the respondent or the government’s evidence. Sensitive information was submitted under seal because officials say it involves classified national security material. 

Chief Judge Joan N. Ericksen held a closed hearing one day after the application was filed. Government lawyers presented their arguments, but the judge did not immediately allow the case to advance. 

Instead, Ericksen ordered the Justice Department to provide more information. 

In his public order, he said the court had “questions about the nexus” between the respondent’s alleged conduct and the federal statutes cited in the application. 

He added that the issues required “more thoughtful consideration” and directed the government to submit additional factual or legal support. 

The Justice Department filed its supplemental response on July 22. The public docket did not immediately show a final ruling

The person at the center remains unknown 

A gavel striking a sound block, symbolizing justice and legal authority in a courtroom setting.
Image Credit: KATRIN BOLOVTSOVA Via Pexels

For the individual facing possible removal, the consequences could be immediate and life-changing. Yet the public does not know who that person is. 

No official filing has disclosed the respondent’s name, age, country of citizenship or current location. The government has also not publicly described the alleged conduct that led to the application. 

That distinction matters. 

The Justice Department has accused the individual, but the allegations have not been tested in a public hearing or established through a final court decision. 

A Justice Department spokesperson said that the department would “use every tool available” to identify and remove people it considers foreign terrorism threats. 

The government has not publicly explained why it selected this particular legal process instead of using the standard immigration court system. 

However, the tribunal was designed for cases in which prosecutors believe publicly revealing evidence could expose classified intelligence or damage national security. 

Judge Boasberg previously raised the court 

The administration’s decision comes after Chief U.S. District Judge James Boasberg pointed officials toward the Alien Terrorist Removal Court during a separate legal fight. 

That case involved the Trump administration’s use of the Alien Enemies Act, an 18th-century wartime law, to remove Venezuelan migrants accused of belonging to Tren de Aragua. 

The administration’s actions led to a wider court battle over whether detainees received enough notice and a fair opportunity to challenge the accusations against them. 

During a March 2025 hearing, Boasberg questioned why the government was not using the specialized terrorism court Congress had already created. 

“Congress has an answer for us, doesn’t it?” Boasberg said. “Because they created the Alien Terrorist Removal Court.” 

A Justice Department attorney responded that the tribunal had never been used. The attorney also argued that the existence of the specialized court did not prevent the president from using other legal authorities. 

More than a year later, the administration has now brought the tribunal its first case. 

How the court is supposed to work 

The Alien Terrorist Removal Court was established to review cases involving noncitizens the government alleges are connected to terrorism. 

The tribunal consists of five federal district judges selected from different parts of the country

The process begins when the attorney general approves a classified application asking the court to authorize removal proceedings. 

A judge first reviews the government’s information privately. The court must decide whether the application contains enough evidence to move forward. 

If the judge approves the application, the case may proceed to a removal hearing. 

An attorney can represent the respondent and must receive an unclassified summary of the government’s evidence. Some underlying intelligence may remain secret if officials persuade the court that disclosure would threaten national security. 

The government must still prove that the respondent meets the definition of an “alien terrorist” under federal law

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit can review decisions from the District of Columbia Circuit. 

Is the tribunal a secret court? 

Depositphotos 193367010 L 1
Photo Credit: Deposit Photos

The court has sometimes been described as a “zombie court” because it existed legally for decades without handling a case. 

Its unusual structure and reliance on classified information have also raised questions about transparency. 

Ericksen addressed that issue directly in a public statement

“Is it a secret court? No,” he wrote. 

He said the court’s membership, legal procedures and public documents are available. However, classified material submitted in individual cases remains restricted. 

The tribunal has begun publishing filings and orders through its official website. Because it does not have a separate electronic filing platform, public documents are processed through more traditional procedures before being posted online. 

All current proceedings are being handled at the E. Barrett Prettyman U.S. Courthouse in Washington, D.C. 

A test of national security and due process 

The case places two major government responsibilities in direct tension. 

Federal officials have broad authority to protect the country from genuine national security threats. At the same time, the government must follow the law before removing a person based on allegations that may rely heavily on secret evidence. 

Supporters of the specialized court may view it as a more structured option than using wartime laws or ordinary immigration proceedings in classified cases. 

Critics are likely to focus on whether the respondent receives enough information to challenge the government’s claims meaningfully. 

Those questions remain unresolved because the tribunal has never completed a case. 

Congress designed the system in 1996, but no administration previously tested how its protections, evidentiary rules and appeal procedures would operate in practice. 

What happens next 

The court must now decide whether the Justice Department’s additional submission answers the judge’s concerns. If Ericksen finds that the government has met the legal standard, the case could move toward a formal removal hearing. 

If the evidence does not clearly connect the alleged conduct to the statute, the court could deny the application or request further information. 

Either outcome would be significant. 

Approval could give the Trump administration a new route for pursuing terrorism-related deportations involving classified intelligence. A rejection could demonstrate that the court will demand a clear and specific legal connection before allowing the government to proceed. 

For now, no public removal order has been issued, and the allegations remain sealed. 

After 30 years of silence, the Alien Terrorist Removal Court is finally active. Its first decision could shape how future administrations handle some of the country’s most sensitive immigration and national security cases. 

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *