Singer D4vd Ordered to Face Trial in Killing of 14-Year-Old Celeste Rivas Hernandez

Spread the love

This article was originally published on Crafting Your Home. A human contributor also wrote and edited the post.

A case that began with a disturbing discovery inside an abandoned Tesla is now moving toward a full criminal trial.

A Los Angeles judge ruled that prosecutors presented enough evidence to try singer D4vd, whose legal name is David Anthony Burke, in connection with the killing of 14-year-old Celeste Rivas Hernandez. The 21-year-old musician has pleaded not guilty and remains in custody without bail.

Judge Charlaine Olmedo issued the decision after a five-day preliminary hearing that revealed the framework of the prosecution’s case. Burke will face charges of murder, continuous sexual abuse of a child under 14 and unlawful mutilation of human remains.

Mike Make a Millie facebook
Mike Make-a Millie/facebook

The judge also found probable cause for several special circumstances, including allegations that the killing involved lying in wait, financial gain and the murder of a potential witness. Those findings could make Burke eligible for the death penalty, although prosecutors have not announced whether they will seek it.

The ruling does not mean Burke has been found guilty. It means the judge concluded that prosecutors presented enough evidence for the case to continue before a trial jury. Burke is presumed innocent unless proven guilty in court.

According to AP’s courtroom report, Burke showed little visible emotion as the ruling was delivered. His attorneys argued that the evidence did not establish that he deliberately intended to kill Celeste.

Why it matters

Celeste disappeared after arriving at Burke’s Hollywood Hills residence on April 23, 2025, prosecutors allege. Investigators said an Uber arranged by Burke brought her to the property shortly after 10 p.m.

She was never seen alive again.

Months later, on September 8, 2025, workers discovered decomposed and dismembered remains inside the front storage compartment of a Tesla registered to Burke. The vehicle had reportedly been impounded after it was found abandoned in the Hollywood Hills.

The discovery transformed what had been a missing-person case into a homicide investigation involving a fast-rising musician with millions of online listeners.

Prosecutors told the court that Burke met Celeste when she was 11 and allegedly began sexually abusing her when she was 13 and he was 18. Evidence introduced during the hearing reportedly included photographs, messages and testimony concerning the nature of their relationship.

Ilea Pacheco facebook
Ilea Pacheco facebook

Authorities allege Celeste threatened to expose the relationship shortly before her death. Prosecutors argued that Burke feared the revelation would destroy his career as he prepared to release his first full-length album.

Deputy District Attorney Beth Silverman described the case as supported by ā€œmountains of evidence.ā€ Prosecutors said the material presented during the preliminary hearing represented only part of what investigators had collected.

Among the most significant pieces of evidence were bloodstains discovered in Burke’s garage. A DNA expert testified that the blood matched Celeste’s genetic profile, according to prosecutors.

Investigators also presented records showing that Burke allegedly ordered chainsaws, an inflatable pool, a body bag and a shovel after Celeste arrived at his home. Prosecutors claim fragments from the pool were later found embedded in her remains.

The defense challenged the murder accusation, arguing that prosecutors had not established deliberate intent or a history of violence between Burke and Celeste. Attorney Marilyn Bednarski also questioned whether the medical evidence clearly demonstrated how the teenager died.

Burke’s lawyers highlighted messages in which Celeste repeatedly asked to visit him and allegedly made threats during arguments. Prosecutors sharply criticized that strategy, accusing the defense of attempting to shift responsibility onto a child.

Patrick Steinfeld, an attorney representing Celeste’s family, said her relatives were disturbed by efforts to place blame on the 14-year-old. Celeste’s parents attended much of the hearing but left during some of the most graphic and emotional testimony.

The case also carries consequences beyond the courtroom because Burke’s music career had been accelerating at the time of Celeste’s death. Known for songs including ā€œRomantic Homicide,ā€ he had built enormous audiences across TikTok, Spotify and SoundCloud.

His debut album, ā€œWithered,ā€ was released two days after prosecutors say Celeste was killed. He had also performed at Coachella and appeared positioned for a breakthrough in the music industry.

Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan Hochman said prosecutors presented only ā€œa small but illustrative fractionā€ of the evidence gathered during the investigation. His office alleges Burke killed Celeste because he feared exposure of their relationship would end his career.

The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said 12 prosecution witnesses testified during the preliminary hearing. The office also stressed that the charges remain allegations and that Burke is legally presumed innocent.

Burke is scheduled to return to court for arraignment on August 31. A trial could begin as soon as 60 days afterward, although major criminal cases often face scheduling delays.

For Celeste’s family, the ruling marks the beginning of another difficult stage rather than the end of the case. For Burke, it means the allegations will no longer be tested only in a preliminary hearing but potentially before a jury deciding whether prosecutors have proved them beyond a reasonable doubt.

If you like what you just read, then subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on social media.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *