Trump’s ‘Charles the Conqueror’ Pitch Leaves Critics Cringing

Spread the love

President Donald Trump drew fresh criticism after retelling a conversation with King Charles III about William the Conqueror during a White House luncheon in Washington on July 6.

Trump said he asked the British monarch who built Windsor Castle and whether its founder was “a nice man.” He then recalled suggesting “Charles the Conqueror” as a new title for the King.

The remarks came during a Rose Garden Club event celebrating the launch of Trump Accounts, a federal investment program for children. The White House posted the full video after the event.

Trump’s speech moved beyond the savings program. He discussed White House construction, international conflicts, American businesses, British history, and rapper Nicki Minaj, who attended the luncheon.

Trump Describes Royal Conversation

Donald_Trump_RNC
Image credit: Ali Shaker/VOA, Public Domain via pexels

Trump introduced the Windsor Castle story while discussing White House security upgrades and a planned ballroom.

He described Windsor as the longest building he had seen. Trump said he asked Charles who constructed it during a previous visit to Britain.

The King answered that William the Conqueror built the castle, Trump said. Trump then asked whether William had been pleasant.

“He was extremely strong and very tough,” Charles reportedly answered.

Trump said the response matched the medieval ruler’s title. He then suggested that the current monarch should also receive a stronger name.

“Maybe Charles the Conqueror,” Trump recalled telling him.

Charles rejected the suggestion, Trump said, responding, “No, no, no, please.”

The private conversation has not been independently documented. Trump’s public retellings remain the primary accounts of what the two men said.

Some social media users criticized the remarks online, describing the exchange as embarrassing and questioning Trump’s knowledge of British history. One commenter called him “thoroughly uneducated.”

Those comments reflected individual reactions rather than an official British position. Buckingham Palace did not immediately release a public statement addressing the July remarks.

Story Predates July Luncheon

Trump has told versions of the Windsor Castle story several times since visiting Britain in September 2025.

During a dinner at George Washington’s Mount Vernon estate on Sept. 20, Trump described learning about William the Conqueror while touring the castle.

In that speech, Trump said Windsor dated to about 990. He called William the Conqueror “the coolest name” he had heard and praised the castle’s size.

Trump also said he asked Charles why people should not call him “Charles the Conqueror.” The King answered that he did not think so.

The speech included that nickname months before the July luncheon, showing that the latest remarks were not the first disclosure of the exchange.

Trump repeated part of the story during an April 28 White House dinner honoring Charles and Queen Camilla.

That time, he placed Windsor’s construction in 1070. Trump again said he asked Charles whether William was a nice man.

The King reportedly replied, “I tend to doubt it. I don’t think so.”

The transcript preserved that exchange during the formal dinner. Trump then joked that someone called “William the Conqueror” was unlikely to be especially kind.

The April date was far closer to the accepted history than the year Trump cited in September.

Windsor Castle’s Norman Origins

Charming scene of Windsor Castle surrounded by lush greenery and visitors.
Image Credit :Eren Cebeci via Pexels

William the Conqueror selected Windsor as a defensive location after defeating King Harold II at the Battle of Hastings in 1066.

He began building around 1070, and the first castle took about 16 years to complete. The site guarded the western approach to London and offered access to a royal hunting forest.

The present complex was not built entirely under William. Later monarchs expanded and redesigned it across several centuries.

Henry II replaced major timber defenses with stone and developed royal apartments. Edward III later transformed the military site into a Gothic palace.

Other monarchs added ceremonial rooms, chapels, gates, and residential spaces. Those changes created the large royal complex that Trump visited.

William took the English crown by force of arms and ruled by military power. His government seized land from English nobles and distributed estates to Norman supporters.

His forces also crushed rebellions, including resistance in northern England. Historians have long associated his reign with sweeping political change and severe violence.

Trump’s question about whether William was “nice” simplified that record into a casual personal judgment. His own punchline, however, suggested he understood that a conqueror was unlikely to have ruled gently.

Policy Launch Loses Attention

Donald Trump
Image Credit: americanspirit Via 123rf

The luncheon focused officially on Trump Accounts, which entered their contribution phase days before the event.

Children born from Jan. 1, 2025, through Dec. 31, 2028, may qualify for a one-time federal deposit. Under the program, eligible children receive $1,000 after families complete the required enrollment process.

Parents, relatives, employers, and other approved contributors can add money within annual limits. Families began activating accounts before the official July 4 launch.

The government has also warned families about fraudulent calls, texts and emails connected to the rollout. Officials have advised users to rely on the program’s official application and website.

Trump’s comments about Minaj also diverted attention from the investment program.

He introduced the rapper as respected, talented, and “so hot.” He praised her political support and later addressed her while discussing the size of American small businesses.

The history anecdote and celebrity remarks received wider attention than the program’s operating details.

Trump has not retracted his account of the royal conversation. His corrected reference to 1070 now closely matches the established construction timeline, but the “Charles the Conqueror” nickname continues to define public discussion of the exchange.

The July 6 remarks remain available in the White House video archive. Trump Accounts are now accepting contributions, while eligible families continue completing activation and enrollment steps.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *