ICE Detainee Dies at New Jersey Detention Center After Illegal Reentry Following 2006 Deportation

Spread the love

The death of a Salvadoran man in federal immigration custody has renewed scrutiny of Delaney Hall, the privately operated detention facility in Newark, New Jersey, where public officials and immigration advocates have repeatedly demanded greater transparency.

Edwin Lopez-Cornejo was pronounced dead on August 1, 2026, at University Hospital in Newark after suffering what U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement described as a medical emergency. ICE said GEO Group employees and medical personnel responded immediately and called emergency services. The official cause of death remains pending further examination.

ICE Says Lopez-Cornejo Was Awaiting Removal

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations ERO officers in West Palm Beach Florida on February 14 2025 29 1
Image Credit:
usicegov, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

According to ICE, U.S. Border Patrol first apprehended Lopez-Cornejo after he entered the country without inspection in August 2006. An immigration judge ordered his removal that month, and authorities deported him to El Salvador on October 19, 2006. ICE said he later returned to the United States without authorization on an unknown date. Officers arrested him in Plainfield, New Jersey, on June 18, 2026, and detained him at Delaney Hall while the government pursued removal under his reinstated deportation order.

The agency identified Lopez-Cornejo as 41 and said he received appropriate medical care while in custody. ICE also reported notifying his family, the Salvadoran Consulate in Elizabeth and the relevant Department of Homeland Security oversight offices.

Family Questions Medical Treatment at Delaney Hall

Lopez-Cornejo’s relatives have challenged the government’s account and are seeking an independent investigation. They told the Associated Press that he required medication for diabetes, high blood pressure and seizures but had complained about inconsistent access to treatment. His mother said he called shortly before his death and reported losing feeling in part of his face and one arm. His family maintains that his health deteriorated in detention. Relatives also said he was 39, creating a discrepancy with the age released by ICE.

An independent review has not yet established those allegations. However, they have increased pressure on authorities to release medical records, emergency-response details and the eventual findings concerning his cause of death.

New Jersey Officials Renew Calls to Close Delaney Hall

New Jersey Governor Mikie Sherrill said Lopez-Cornejo’s loved ones deserved answers and renewed her call for Delaney Hall to close. She said state efforts to conduct a complete health inspection had faced obstruction and argued that blocked oversight raised serious concerns about conditions inside the facility. Sherrill also criticized the use of privately operated detention centers, arguing that corporations should not profit from holding people while avoiding public accountability.

Newark Mayor Ras Baraka also demanded answers, saying the death demonstrated the consequences of operating a detention center without sufficient transparency and oversight. He emphasized that every person deserves dignity, respect, and proper care, regardless of immigration status. The statements reflect a wider dispute between federal immigration authorities and New Jersey officials over access to the facility. Sherrill previously said she received only a controlled tour of Delaney Hall and was not permitted to speak directly with detainees.

Second Reported Delaney Hall Death in Eight Months

Lopez-Cornejo is the second publicly reported detainee to die after a medical emergency connected to Delaney Hall in less than eight months. Jean Wilson Brutus, a 41-year-old Haitian national, died in December 2025 after collapsing shortly after entering the facility. A medical examiner later attributed his death to a blood clot blocking an artery in his lungs.

Delaney Hall has also faced demonstrations and complaints involving food quality, overcrowding, medical treatment and access for inspectors. Some detainees previously participated in a hunger strike over conditions at the facility. GEO Group did not immediately respond to the Associated Press’s request for comment following Lopez-Cornejo’s death

Independent Findings Will Be Critical

The available accounts present two sharply different pictures. ICE says Lopez-Cornejo received proper medical attention and that staff acted immediately when the emergency occurred. His family says he had serious health conditions, reported alarming symptoms, and did not consistently receive the medication he needed. Until medical findings and custody records become available, it would be premature to determine whether failures in treatment contributed to his death. What is clear is that a man died while under federal supervision at a facility already facing serious questions about oversight.

A transparent investigation will be essential to establish what happened, determine whether federal detention standards were followed, and identify whether changes are needed to protect other medically vulnerable people held at Delaney Hall.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *