Tucker Carlson Alleges ‘Terrified’ Dan Bongino Told Him Trump Personally Shut Down Butler Assassination Investigation
The Butler assassination attempt has never fully left America’s political bloodstream. Nearly two years after gunfire tore through Donald Trump’s rally in Pennsylvania, the questions around the shooter, the motive, the security failures, and the investigation still refuse to die quietly.
Now Tucker Carlson has pushed those questions back into the national spotlight with a claim that is already setting off alarms across conservative media.
Carlson says Dan Bongino privately told him that President Donald Trump himself shut down the investigation into the Butler assassination attempt. Bongino is denying it, and the result is a messy, high-voltage clash between two major voices who once stood on much of the same political ground.
Carlson’s Claim Lands Like A Political Grenade

During an appearance with Mario Nawfal, Carlson said he had spoken with Bongino while Bongino was connected to the Trump administration and the FBI. According to Carlson, the conversation centered on alleged social media posts tied to Thomas Crooks, the twenty-year-old gunman killed after the July 13, 2024, attack in Butler, Pennsylvania.
Carlson claimed he had come across posts that he believed contradicted what the public had been told about Crooks’ online activity. He suggested that when he brought the material to Kash Patel and later to Bongino, the reaction was not calm curiosity but panic.
The most explosive part of Carlson’s claim is that Bongino allegedly told him to take the matter up with Trump because Trump was the person who shut the investigation down. Carlson framed that alleged moment as a major turning point, saying he could not understand why anyone would want to close an inquiry into an attempt on his own life.
That is the heart of the controversy. Carlson is not merely accusing officials of poor communication or bureaucratic delay. He is claiming that a politically sensitive investigation may have been stopped from the top.
Bongino Denies It And Fires Back Hard
Bongino did not let the accusation sit unanswered. He responded publicly, calling Carlson’s claim a lie and mocking him in personal terms.
His denial matters because Bongino is not a side character in this story. He is a former conservative commentator, a longtime Trump ally, and a figure whose move into government gave him more direct proximity to the very institutions he once criticized from the outside.
That makes the dispute especially combustible. This is not a standard media argument between ideological opponents. It is an internal fight among powerful right-leaning voices over one of the most disturbing political events in recent American history.
Carlson is saying he has texts and memories of conversations. Bongino is saying Carlson is not telling the truth. Until hard evidence is produced publicly, the core allegation remains disputed.
Why Butler Still Feels Unanswered To Many Americans
The reason this story is spreading so quickly is simple. The Butler shooting left behind a long trail of public unease.
Crooks was killed at the scene. Trump survived with an injury. A rally attendee was killed. Others were injured. The attack shocked the country and immediately raised questions about security, warning signs, motive, and whether the public would ever get the full picture.
Federal investigators previously said they had not identified a clear motive or co-conspirators. That answer may be accurate, but it has never satisfied everyone. In major cases of political violence, silence often creates a vacuum, and that vacuum is filled with suspicion.
That is why Carlson’s claim is so powerful as a media moment. It does not arrive in a calm environment. It lands in a country already primed to distrust institutions, doubt official explanations, and read secrecy as evidence of something darker.
The Social Media Question Keeps Coming Back
A major thread in Carlson’s argument appears to involve Crooks’ alleged online activity. For many Americans, the lack of a clear manifesto or a simple ideological explanation has left the case feeling unfinished.
In modern cases of political violence, people expect a digital trail. They expect posts, messages, videos, searches, group chats, or some online clue that explains what pushed a person toward violence. When that trail appears thin, missing, or confusing, the public often assumes something is being hidden.
That does not mean every suspicion is true. But it does explain why any claim about undisclosed posts tied to Crooks instantly becomes explosive.
If Carlson can prove that important material existed and was not properly explained to the public, the story could grow far beyond a podcast feud. If he cannot, Bongino’s denial may turn the controversy into another example of speculation outpacing evidence.
This Is Also A MAGA Media Civil War
There is another layer here that makes the story bigger than Butler alone. Carlson has become increasingly willing to challenge Trump and parts of the conservative establishment.
He has criticized Trump over foreign policy, the Iran conflict, the Epstein files, and other issues that divide the right. That shift has placed Carlson in a strange position. He remains deeply influential among conservative audiences, but he is no longer simply carrying the Trump-friendly message.
Bongino, meanwhile, has long built his brand around loyalty, criticism of law enforcement, and distrust of establishment institutions. Seeing Carlson and Bongino collide over the FBI, Trump, and Butler creates the kind of conservative media fracture that draws massive attention.
The fight is not just about one claim. It is about who gets trusted when trusted voices accuse each other of lying.
Why The Wording Matters
This story must be handled carefully because the central claim is not confirmed. Carlson says Bongino told him Trump shut down the investigation. Bongino says Carlson is lying. Trump has not publicly validated Carlson’s version in the reporting available so far.
That means the responsible framing is not “Trump shut down the Butler investigation.” The responsible framing is “Carlson claims Bongino told him Trump shut it down, and Bongino denies it.”
That difference is not small. It is the line between reporting a disputed allegation and presenting an unproven claim as fact.
Still, even as a disputed allegation, the story is significant. It raises questions about transparency, public trust, and whether Americans have been given enough information about one of the most shocking moments of the 2024 campaign.
What Happens Next
The next move belongs to evidence. Carlson says he still has text exchanges. Bongino says more receipts are coming on his show. If either man releases messages, timelines, or documents, this dispute could either sharpen into a major political scandal or collapse into another bitter media brawl.
For now, the public is left watching two influential conservative figures accuse each other of deception over a case that already felt unfinished.
That is why the story has legs. It combines Trump, the FBI, an assassination attempt, unanswered questions, and a feud between two men with huge audiences. In the current media climate, that is not just a headline. It is gasoline.
The Butler shooting was already one of the defining shocks of modern American politics. Carlson’s new claim has reopened the wound, and Bongino’s denial has ensured this fight will not disappear quietly.
