Take a trip down memory lane with this classic southern sweet potato pie recipe. Learn more about sweet potatoes, their history in the American South, and how to make this delicious dessert at home!
Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
The Sweet Potato Pie has captured the hearts of many, and it’s easy to see why.
The Allrecipes community has been raving about this top-rated recipe for years, and with good reason.
The simple ingredients, including sweet potatoes, butter, sugar, eggs, and milk, are not only budget-friendly, but they’re also likely already in your pantry!
But the magic comes from the warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, which elevate the humble sweet potato to the next level.
Not only is this Sweet Potato Pie a delicious dessert, but it’s also a celebration of Southern heritage and a way to connect with the past.
Sweet Potato Pie Origin
The pie gained popularity in the South due to the abundance of sweet potatoes in the region.
It was commonly prepared for special occasions like Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Over time, it became an integral part of Southern cuisine and a beloved dessert enjoyed throughout the year.
This Recipe Is…
- The flavor of this pie improves over time, so it’s best to make it a few days ahead.
- It has a deep caramelized flavor, warm spices, and buttery, flaky crust – all at under a dollar per serving.
- Making Sweet Potato Pie in advance leaves more oven space for Thanksgiving side dishes.
- This classic dessert will be sure to steal the show at this year’s holiday dinner!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Cooling time: 3-4 hours
- Bruce’s Yams drained and mashed
- Eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- Heavy whipping cream
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Salted butter, softened
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust, for 8”/9” pans (or homemade)
- Whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice, for garnish
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Disney’s Frozen Blizzard Cookie recipe is inspired by the popular animated movie Frozen, featuring a delightful blend of flavors and a wintry theme.
The recipe typically includes ingredients like sugar cookie mix, blue food coloring, white chocolate chips, and blue sprinkles.
The cookies are often shaped like snowflakes or decorated to resemble the icy landscape of the film.
These cookies have gained popularity for several reasons:
- Theme and Appeal: The Frozen theme resonates with both kids and adults who love the movie. The cookies, with their frosty appearance and association with the beloved characters, tap into the magic and allure of the Frozen world.
- Visual Appeal: The cookies are visually stunning, often adorned with blue hues, white chocolate, and sparkly sprinkles resembling snowflakes. The vibrant colors and decorative elements make them visually appealing, perfect for parties, gatherings, or themed events.
- Nostalgia and Connection: Disney movies often evoke nostalgia and emotional connections. These cookies allow fans to bring a piece of the movie into their homes, creating a connection to the beloved characters and storyline.
- Fun to Make: Baking these cookies can be a fun activity, especially for families or fans of the movie. The process of mixing, shaping, and decorating the cookies can be an enjoyable experience, especially when shared with others.
- Versatility: The basic recipe can be customized to suit different preferences. Whether it’s altering the shapes, experimenting with different toppings, or adding personal touches, the versatility of the recipe allows for creativity in the kitchen.
Overall, the combination of a beloved movie theme, visually appealing aesthetics, and the joy of baking and sharing these cookies contributes to their popularity and why people love making and enjoying them.
Dessert or Side Dish?
Sweet potato pie is primarily considered a dessert in many culinary traditions.
Its sweet and rich flavor profile, often accompanied by spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, lends itself to being served as a sweet treat after a meal.
Some regional or cultural contexts, it is also be served as a side dish.
Especially during holiday gatherings where it complements savory main courses.
Ultimately, its classification can vary based on personal preferences and cultural practices.
How To Make Grandma’s Best Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a bowl, incorporate the mashed yams, eggs, and cream.
Add the sugar, spices, vanilla, cornstarch, and butter (1/3 cup). Mix with a stand mixer or hand mixer. You want the filling to be smooth and whipped slightly.
Add 1 tablespoon of softened butter to the pie dish and spread it to coat the whole dish. Roll in the pie crust and remove any air pockets from between the dish and crust.
Press the edge of the crust into a decorative shape or in the dish’s edge mold if applicable.
Bake the crust for 3 minutes.
Remove the crust and add the pie filling evenly and level with the dish.
Bake the pie for 12 minutes. Reduce the heat to 335 degrees F.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the center is set.
Remove the pie and set it on a counter to cool for 3-4 hours. The pie needs to be cool. If you serve it before it cools, the shape of the pie will not be firm enough to sustain itself.
Top with whipped cream, a sprinkle of pumpkin spice, or nutmeg.
“This is absolutely the best sweet potato pie I’ve ever tasted.” Allrecipes reviewer
While this recipe is delicious the day it’s baked, it gets even better after a few days in the fridge.
As the flavors meld together, the sweet potato filling becomes even more decadent and flavorful.
So, why not prepare it ahead of time and free up your oven on Thanksgiving day to make room for those tasty side dishes?
More Dessert Recipes For You
- Gingerbread Cheesecake Dip Recipe
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Jars
- Perfect Pumpkin Crunch Cake Recipe
- Grinch Cream Cheese Cookies
Printable Recipe Card and Nutritional Values
- 1 40 oz. can Bruce’s Yams, drained and mashed
- 2 whole eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp salted butter, softened
- 2 tbs. cornstarch
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust, for 8”/9” pans (or homemade)
- Whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl, incorporate the mashed yams, eggs, and cream.
- Add the sugar, spices, vanilla, cornstarch, and butter (1/3 cup). Mix with a stand mixer or hand mixer. You want the filling to be smooth and whipped slightly.
- Add 1 tablespoon of softened butter to the pie dish and spread it to coat the whole dish. Roll in the pie crust and remove any air pockets from between the dish and crust.
- Press the edge of the crust into a decorative shape or in the dish’s edge mold if applicable.
- Bake the crust for 3 minutes.
- Remove the crust and add the pie filling evenly and level with the dish.
- Bake the pie for 12 minutes. Drop the heat to 335° and bake for 30 minutes or until the center is set. Stick a toothpick in the center to see if it’s set.
- Remove the pie and set it on a counter to cool for 3-4 hours. The pie needs to be cool. If you serve it before it cools, the shape of the pie will not be firm enough to sustain itself.
- Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin spice. Nutmeg and be used to garnish too.
Amount Per Serving Calories 548Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 121mgSodium 278mgCarbohydrates 87gFiber 8gSugar 20gProtein 8g
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Services LLC associates program affiliate advertising program, I may earn a small commission with no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy for more info.
- Large Bowl – Say goodbye to kitchen clutter with Squish collapsible products that provide instant storage solutions.
- Aluminum pans – Not only can these pans handle cakes and treats, but they’re also perfect for grilling, roasting, and preserving fresh fruits and veggies.
- Mixing Spoon – 4 nonstick silicone mixing spoons that will meet your daily needs and last.
- Parchment Paper – Say Goodbye to Stuck-on Food with this Versatile Cooking Paper!
- Cast Iron Skillet – Get the ultimate cast iron frying pan set with three sizes of 10, 8, and 6 inches, perfect for all your cooking needs at home or on the go.
- Spatula – Multiple shapes to fit all your unique cooking needs. Enjoy stress-free cooking with our versatile spatulas.
- Sharp knife – Slice with ease and maintain sharp blades for longer with our nonstick ceramic coating.
- Aluminum Foil – Say goodbye to messy, uneven foil cutting with our Easy Tear Edge packaging!
- Heavy-duty pot holders – Heat-resistant oven mitts and potholders will shield your hands and forearms while you handle pans, pots, or even a flaming grill. Quality and safety are guaranteed.
- Collapsable Measuring cups – Get precise measurements with collapsible and travel-friendly measuring cups! They are perfect for on-the-go needs and can be easily stored in small spaces.
In conclusion, Sweet Potato Pie is a dessert that’s sure to please any pie lover. Its creamy texture, spicy flavor, and budget-friendly price make it a winner in our book.
This recipe is easy to make and will have everyone asking for seconds.
So, the next time you’re looking for a dessert to serve at your holiday table, give this Sweet Potato Pie a try.
We promise it’ll be the best one you’ve ever tasted!
Leave us a comment below telling us what your favorite pie recipe is!
Be sure to follow us on Pinterest and PIN IT FOR LATER!