Ereg Surrenders, Becomes First Name on DOJ’s Most Wanted Fraudsters List
Minneapolis became the unlikely stage for a headline-grabbing federal fraud case this week, and it’s a story that feels part crime thriller, part public service warning. Abdullahi Ereg, a businessman accused of defrauding a federal child nutrition program, surrendered peacefully at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport on June 10, 2026, marking a milestone: the first arrest from the Department of Justice’s newly launched “Most Wanted Fraudsters” list.

The allegations against Ereg center on millions of dollars intended to feed children during the COVID-19 pandemic. According to prosecutors, instead of nourishing kids, the money allegedly fueled a lavish lifestyle and flowed to foreign accounts.
The DOJ launched its “Most Wanted Fraudsters” list on June 4, 2026, to spotlight individuals accused of major financial crimes involving fraud against public programs. Within days, Ereg made headlines for the very reason the list exists: he surrendered voluntarily after being added.
FBI Special Agent in Charge Robyn Smith said, “This list is designed to bring public attention to significant fraud cases and put pressure on fugitives. Ereg’s voluntary return shows that public visibility can influence behavior.”
The DOJ’s strategy has been to combine traditional investigative methods with the power of public awareness. Ereg’s surrender provides an early example of how this approach can work. His peaceful arrival at the airport avoided a high-profile chase but still underscored the seriousness of the charges.
Federal prosecutors allege that Ereg orchestrated a scheme through Evergreen Grocery and Deli, located in south Minneapolis. Between April 2020 and April 2021, the business reportedly submitted claims for more than 1.4 million meals, an amount authorities say was vastly inflated. The program, administered via the Federal Child Nutrition Program and funneled through the nonprofit Feeding Our Future, was designed to reimburse meal providers serving children in need. Instead, prosecutors say, much of the money allegedly went to personal gain.
DOJ spokesperson Clara Watson said, “Federal funds designed to protect children should never be diverted. Allegations like these highlight the need for vigilance and enforcement.”
Alleged Fraud of Over $4.2 Million Shines Light on Pandemic-Era Programs

The numbers in this case are staggering. Federal filings show Ereg’s business allegedly received more than $4.2 million in reimbursements for meals that, authorities claim, were never served. Some documents suggest the deli claimed to provide upwards of 3,000 meals twice a day, seven days a week. For federal auditors, such claims triggered red flags.
“The sheer scale of the alleged fraud is shocking,” said U.S. Attorney Michael K. Davis. “This was money meant to provide meals to children during a crisis. Misappropriation of such funds is not only illegal but morally indefensible.”
Prosecutors also allege that some of the funds were transferred to overseas accounts controlled by foreign entities, further complicating the investigation. These allegations have made the case a national talking point, emphasizing that even local businesses participating in federal programs can be scrutinized when red flags arise.

Ereg’s wife, Najmo Ahmed, previously worked at the deli and pleaded guilty to one count of money laundering. Her sentencing is pending. Officials note that family involvement in such schemes can complicate investigations but also provide key evidence when defendants cooperate.
The case began in 2024 when Ereg was first indicted on charges including conspiracy to commit wire fraud, wire fraud, and money laundering. An arrest warrant was issued, but authorities struggled to locate him overseas until the recent voluntary surrender.
“Two years in the making, this case illustrates the challenges of tracking financial fraud that crosses international borders,” said FBI Special Agent in Charge Robyn Smith.
Ereg’s arrest isn’t just a headline; it’s a cautionary tale for administrators, program auditors, and taxpayers. Programs like the Federal Child Nutrition Program are lifelines for families and children, particularly in times of crisis. Alleged exploitation, according to officials, can have ripple effects on both public trust and program integrity.
“Public confidence is critical for programs serving our children,” said DOJ spokesperson Clara Watson. “Every allegation of misuse undermines that trust and underscores why rigorous oversight is essential.”
While Ereg’s case represents a high-profile arrest, the DOJ emphasizes that investigations are ongoing and that the “Most Wanted Fraudsters” list will continue to spotlight cases involving substantial federal losses. Federal officials hope the public attention will deter similar schemes and encourage cooperation from other fugitives.
For Minneapolis, the case has been a wake-up call. Local community leaders and nonprofit operators involved in child nutrition programs are now reviewing their procedures to ensure compliance and prevent any future misuse.
“Every meal counts,” said Helen Rodriguez, executive director of a local child nutrition advocacy nonprofit. “When funds meant for children are allegedly misused, it affects real families and communities.”
The next steps include Ereg’s appearance in federal court, ongoing prosecutions, and continued oversight of the distribution of program funds. Federal authorities remain cautious, emphasizing that allegations are not convictions until proven in court.
This story captures multiple intersecting issues: a pandemic-era program under scrutiny, millions in alleged fraud, family involvement in the alleged scheme, and the DOJ testing a new public-facing enforcement tool. While Ereg’s surrender provides a dramatic first chapter, the case will continue to unfold in court, with national eyes watching.
The arrest also signals that visibility, public accountability, and the new “Most Wanted Fraudsters” list can create pressure even on long-fugitive defendants. As the DOJ investigates further, taxpayers and community members alike are waiting to see how lessons from this case will shape oversight, enforcement, and trust in programs designed to protect America’s children.
