Miss North Carolina USA Breaks Silence After Losing Crown, Says Her Beliefs Played a Role
What began as a dream first pageant for Brittany Boltinhouse quickly became a public battle over reputation, personal beliefs and the standards expected of a Miss USA titleholder.
Boltinhouse, who was crowned Miss North Carolina USA on June 28, has spoken publicly for the first time after losing the title only weeks later. In an Aug. 7 interview with the Carolina Journal, she said she believes her conservative political views and Christian faith played a role in the decision.
The organization behind the state pageant strongly disputes that claim.
Blaize Productions, which holds the Miss North Carolina USA license, said the decision followed a review of previously undisclosed conduct and public content spanning several years. The organization said Boltinhouseās political and religious beliefs were not the reason she lost the crown.
The conflicting accounts have now turned what would normally be a state pageant transition into a much larger public controversy.
Boltinhouse says the experience became a nightmare.

Boltinhouse described winning the competition as one of the happiest moments of her life.
It was her first pageant, she said, and she had enjoyed the experience before events took a dramatic turn.
āIt went from a dream to a nightmare really fast,ā she said during the interview.
Boltinhouse, who identifies herself as a conservative Christian woman and a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said she believes her beliefs contributed to the organizationās decision.
āMy title was ripped from me because of my beliefs,ā she said.
However, she acknowledged that a confidentiality agreement prevents her from discussing some details surrounding the dispute.
That limitation leaves significant questions unanswered.
Boltinhouse also referred broadly to mistakes from her younger years without explaining exactly what conduct may have been reviewed by pageant officials.
She argued that people should be judged by who they are today rather than events from many years earlier.
āEvery teenager has made a mistake,ā she said, adding that she wanted the public to focus on the hardworking woman who competed for and won the state title.
Boltinhouse maintained that she won the competition fairly.
Pageant organizers strongly deny political motivation.

A Blaize Productions representative presented a very different account.
A representative told USA TODAY that the decision āwas not based on Brittany Boltinhouseās political views, religious beliefs, or protected personal viewpoints.ā
The organization said it welcomes people with different political, religious and personal beliefs.
Instead, officials said the decision followed a review of the ātotality of informationā that came to their attention.
According to the organization, that review included previously undisclosed conduct and public content stretching across multiple years.
Officials said the material was inconsistent with the standards and responsibilities required of someone representing Miss North Carolina USA.
The organization also emphasized its responsibility to sponsors, other titleholders and younger women who may view pageant winners as examples of leadership.
Based on everything reviewed, officials said they concluded Boltinhouse could no longer continue in the position.
At the same time, A Blaize Productions condemned harassment directed at Boltinhouse and her family.
That point has become increasingly important as the dispute spreads online, where pageant controversies can quickly turn into political and personal battles.
Miss USA CEO addresses concerns over past conduct.
Miss USA CEO Thom Brodeur also defended the decision.
Brodeur said the material brought to officialsā attention did not involve one isolated incident.
āWhat was brought to us was not a single moment,ā he said. āIt reflected conduct over an extended period of time.ā
He said he stood behind the decision āwithout qualification.ā
Brodeur also released a broader statement about the values Miss USA expects from its representatives.
He said the organization does not tolerate racism, homophobia, transphobia or language that attacks another personās dignity.
āThat is not a policy written for a press release,ā Brodeur said. āIt is the floor of what it means to represent this brand.ā
The statement did not publicly detail the specific posts or conduct that officials determined violated those expectations.
That means the central disagreement remains difficult for outsiders to evaluate independently.
Boltinhouse says her beliefs played a role. The organizations involved say they did not.
Boltinhouse says she wants to protect her reputation.
Despite losing the title, Boltinhouse said she does not plan to allow the controversy to define her.
She described herself as strong in her faith and confident in her identity, saying those qualities have helped her manage the intense public attention.
She also said she was grateful the situation happened to her rather than to a younger woman who might have found the scrutiny more difficult to handle.
Boltinhouse now says she wants to use the controversy as a message about standing firmly behind personal beliefs.
Her argument extends beyond conservative politics.
She said people should feel free to express their beliefs regardless of where they fall politically.
āEven if youāre not conservative,ā she said, people have the right to say how they feel and stand by their beliefs.
For Boltinhouse, the dispute has therefore become about more than losing a crown. She says she is fighting to protect her reputation and to challenge what she believes is an inaccurate portrayal of who she is today.
A new Miss North Carolina USA takes over.

With Boltinhouse no longer holding the title, first runner-up Myla Hadley will become Miss North Carolina USA.
Organizers confirmed that Hadley will move forward to compete at the Miss USA pageant later this month.
That officially closes Boltinhouseās short reign, but the controversy surrounding her removal is unlikely to disappear as quickly.
The public still has two sharply different versions of what happened.
Boltinhouse believes her conservative Christian identity influenced the decision. Pageant officials insist the removal was based on conduct and public material they say conflicted with the responsibilities of the title.
Because neither side has publicly disclosed all of the underlying information, the complete picture remains unclear.
For now, Boltinhouse no longer has the crown she won in June.
But she has made it clear she has no intention of remaining silent about what she believes happened after the spotlight turned from celebration to controversy.
