Learn how to make these sheet pan hash browns for a crispy and cheesy hashbrown that you can serve up a crowd.
Easy & Delicious Sheet Pan Hash Browns Recipe
This recipe is perfect for anyone looking for a hassle-free dish that is both easy to make and enjoyable to eat.
With just a few basic ingredients, you can create a crispy and golden-brown hash brown that is perfect for any time of the day.
This sheet pan hashbrown recipe is one that you will never want to make hash browns any other way.
These hash browns are made with a bag of hashbrowns and create that crispy and flavorful potato side dish.
Reasons You Will Love Sheet Pan Hash Browns
- Crispy and crunchy golden brown hashbrowns.
- Made in one pan, easy cleanup!
- Cheesy topping to elevate the flavor even more.
- Customizable to fit your flavor preferences with seasonings.
- Hands-off cooking. No need to hover over a skillet on the stovetop.
- Family-friendly potato recipe.
While it is best to enjoy sheet pan hash browns fresh out of the oven for optimal crispiness, you can make them ahead of time and reheat them in the oven or toaster oven before serving. Just be aware that reheating may result in slightly less crispy hash browns.
It is not necessary to flip the hash browns during cooking. The sheet pan allows for even heat distribution, resulting in crispy hash browns on both sides without the need to flip.
Makes 8 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- Hash Browns – Reach for a bag of hash browns for this recipe. You can buy the refrigerator hash browns or frozen hash browns.
- Butter – Unsalted or salted butter will work for this recipe.
- Cheese – Want cheesy potatoes? Add on some shredded cheese and elevate the flavor.
- Salt and Pepper – Use salt and pepper to flavor your potatoes just a bit more.
Pro Tip: If you want to add a little extra kick to your muffins, try adding a pinch of cayenne pepper to the dry mix. It will give your muffins a subtle and spicy flavor.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Services LLC associates program affiliate advertising program, I may earn a small commission with no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy for more info.
Common Kitchen Supplies
- Large Bowl – Say goodbye to kitchen clutter with Squish collapsible products that provide instant storage solutions.
- Aluminum pans – Not only can these pans handle cakes and treats, but they’re also perfect for grilling, roasting, and preserving fresh fruits and veggies.
- Mixing Spoon – 4 nonstick silicone mixing spoons that will meet your daily needs and last.
- Parchment Paper – Say Goodbye to Stuck-on Food with this Versatile Cooking Paper!
- Cast Iron Skillet – Get the ultimate cast iron frying pan set with three sizes of 10, 8, and 6 inches, perfect for all your cooking needs at home or on the go.
- Spatula – Multiple shapes to fit all your unique cooking needs. Enjoy stress-free cooking with our versatile spatulas.
- Sharp knife – Slice with ease and maintain sharp blades for longer with our nonstick ceramic coating.
- Aluminum Foil – Say goodbye to messy, uneven foil cutting with our Easy Tear Edge packaging!
- Heavy-duty pot holders – Heat-resistant oven mitts and potholders will shield your hands and forearms while you handle pans, pots, or even a flaming grill. Quality and safety are guaranteed.
- Collapsable Measuring cups – Get precise measurements with collapsible and travel-friendly measuring cups! They are perfect for on-the-go needs and can be easily stored in small spaces.
How to Make
Preheat the oven and then grease your rimmed baking sheet.
Next, spread the potatoes in an even layer on the pan. Then drizzle the melted butter all over the potatoes.
Stir to mix in the butter and season with salt and pepper.
Bake for 30 minutes, and then once the potatoes get crispy remove them from the oven.
Top with the cheese and then return to the oven for another 10 minutes or until all the cheese is melted.
Variations and Tips
- Skip the cheese if you don’t like cheese.
- Any type of cheese works. Pepper Jack, Swiss, Monterey Jack, etc.
- Dice up some onion and peppers and sprinkle it with the hashbrowns with added flavor.
- Season with any type of seasoning. Feel free to pick and choose spices you like.
- Make sure to evenly spread the hashbrowns. If the layer is too thick they will not all become crispy.
- Ensure you grease the pan and coat the hashbrowns with the butter otherwise, they will stick to the pan and will not become crispy.
- When you pull out the hashbrowns to add cheese. Flip the hashbrowns over to ensure both sides are crispy.
- Add chopped herbs, such as rosemary or thyme, to the potato mixture before baking for added flavor.
- Try mixing in other vegetables, such as bell peppers or onions, for a different texture and taste.
- For a spicy kick, add cayenne pepper or chili flakes to the seasoning mix.
- Top the hash browns with shredded cheese before baking for a melty, gooey finish.
- For a protein-packed meal, add cooked bacon or sausage to the potato mixture before baking.
- Experiment with different types of potatoes, such as sweet potatoes or purple potatoes, for a colorful twist.
You are welcome to store any of the hashbrowns you do not eat right away in a sealed container in the fridge. The hash browns will store for 3-4 days.
You can reheat it in the oven or the microwave. Just heat until the potatoes are warmed all the way through.
Can I use homemade hash browns?
Yes, you can grate your how hashbrowns if you want. Just soak them in cold water for 5 minutes to help the potatoes not brown as quickly. Drain off the water and then prepare the sheet pan hashbrowns the same.
Now depending on the texture it can take a bit longer to cook, so you will cook your potatoes until they are fully done.
What if my hashbrowns are looking dry?
Sometimes the butter soaks up pretty quickly while it is being baked. If that is the case you will find you can add a drizzle of oil or additional butter to help prevent your hash browns from drying out as they bake in the oven.
Serving Suggestions and Meal Ideas with Sheet Pan Hash Browns
Sheet pan hash browns are a versatile dish that can be served with a variety of meals. Here are some serving suggestions and meal ideas to inspire you:
|Breakfast or Brunch||Serve the hash browns with scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast for a classic breakfast or brunch|
|Lunch||Top the hash browns with avocado, tomato, and a fried egg for a delicious and satisfying lunch|
|Dinner||Pair the hash browns with grilled chicken or steak and a side of roasted vegetables for a hearty dinner|
For a fun twist, try using the hash browns as a base for a breakfast or brunch pizza.
Simply top the hash browns with scrambled eggs, cheese, and your favorite pizza toppings before baking in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- 1 30-ounce bag of shredded hash browns
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread the hash browns evenly over the top of the tray, then drizzle the melted butter over the top of the potatoes. Stir to mix the butter over all the potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper then bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- When the potatoes are just starting to get crispy, remove the pan from the oven and top with the cheese.
- Return the pan to the oven and continue baking for another 10 minutes, until the cheese on top is melted.
Amount Per Serving Calories 505Total Fat 39gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 58mgSodium 914mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 3gSugar 1gProtein 9g
Sheet pan hash browns are a simple and delicious addition to any meal.
With just a few ingredients and a little preparation, this recipe can be easily customized to suit individual taste preferences.
Whether served as a side dish for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner, sheet pan hash browns are sure to impress.
Pair them with eggs and bacon for a traditional breakfast, or incorporate them into a hearty hash with sausage and vegetables for a more substantial meal.
Share your experiences and variations with us, and enjoy the versatility and appeal of this classic dish.
Be sure to follow us on Pinterest and PIN IT FOR LATER!