Florida Woman Who Punched Trooper During ICE Operation Faces Up to 20 Years After Guilty Plea and Apology
What began with a cellphone recording on a Jacksonville street ended with a Florida woman punching a state trooper, kicking federal immigration officers, being hit with a Taser and eventually standing before a federal judge.
Jennifer Susan Cruz, 41, pleaded guilty on June 17 to assaulting officers during a January immigration enforcement operation in Jacksonville. Federal prosecutors say she now faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison, although a judge will decide the final punishment. The U.S. Attorneyās Office said on June 18 that a sentencing date had not yet been set.
The case drew attention far beyond Jacksonville after Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and Attorney General James Uthmeier publicly weighed in. It also produced a striking turnaround from Cruz herself, who authorities say apologized after the confrontation and later called the incident āhorribleā in federal court.
One clarification matters: official court documents do not say Cruz mistook the Florida Highway Patrol trooper for an ICE agent. Rather, the confrontation unfolded while FHP troopers were assisting federal immigration officers during an enforcement operation.
A cellphone recording turned into a confrontation

The trouble began around 8 a.m. on Jan. 13 along Beach Boulevard in Jacksonville.
According to the Justice Department, federal immigration officers were working with the Florida Highway Patrol when Cruz drove past while recording a traffic stop with her cellphone. She parked nearby and continued filming while yelling at a trooper. Authorities later determined that the two people in the vehicle involved in the original stop were unlawfully present in the United States.
Things then shifted toward Cruz herself.
Authorities said a records check showed that her driverās license had been suspended since June 17, 2025. Because she could not legally drive, a trooper arranged for her vehicle to be towed.
But prosecutors say Cruz drove away before the stop was finished.
Troopers activated their emergency lights and boxed her vehicle in roughly 200 feet away. After she got out, authorities said Cruz refused repeated orders to hand over her keys and became increasingly confrontational. According to the arrest report obtained by News4JAX, Cruz told officers she was āready to fight.ā
When a trooper tried to take the keys, prosecutors say Cruz punched the trooper in the face with a closed fist.
From there, the encounter escalated quickly.
Officers moved in to arrest Cruz, but authorities say she resisted, attempting to strike and kick them. While officers tried to place her inside an FHP vehicle, prosecutors say Cruz kicked at an ICE officer, a Customs and Border Protection agent and a trooper.
She struck both the ICE officer and the CBP agent, according to court documents. The ICE officer suffered an injury to the left hand, while News4JAX reported that the trooper who was punched needed hospital treatment for injuries to the nose and fingers.
A trooper deployed a Taser, but prosecutors said it failed to subdue Cruz. Officers eventually secured her in the patrol vehicle, where authorities say she continued kicking the windows, roof and in-car camera.
The apology came after the chaos
Cruzās attitude apparently changed after she was taken into custody.
According to the original federal complaint, Cruz said while being transported that allowing the incident to escalate over car keys had not been worth it. Later, during a phone call, she acknowledged that she had badly messed up and that her conduct had been wrong.
Prosecutors said she also apologized directly to the trooper she had punched, saying she was sorry for hurting the officer and understood that the trooper was simply doing her job.
That remorse surfaced again later in court.
During a federal detention hearing, a judge asked Cruz why she should be allowed out while her case continued.
āThis is a horrible incident. It wonāt happen again,ā Cruz told the judge, adding, āIām sorry.ā
Her attorney, Alan Ceballos, described Cruz as a first-time offender, mother of four and small-business owner who was struggling with the consequences of the case.
āSheās overwhelmed by it, but sheās being stoic and responsible,ā Ceballos said.
Cruz was eventually released on an unsecured $50,000 bond under conditions that included surrendering her passport, limiting her travel and submitting to drug testing.
The legal stakes, however, continued to grow.
The Justice Departmentās initial January complaint said Cruz faced a maximum of eight years in federal prison. After she pleaded guilty in June, prosecutors announced that the maximum possible penalty had risen to 20 years.
A maximum sentence does not mean Cruz will automatically receive 20 years. Federal judges consider sentencing guidelines and other factors before deciding the actual punishment.
DeSantis and Florida officials made the case a warning

Cruzās arrest quickly became part of the broader political fight surrounding immigration enforcement.
Florida Attorney General James Uthmeier publicly identified Cruz shortly after the arrest and accused her of attacking a trooper because she opposed immigration enforcement.
āUnlike Minnesota, we donāt put up with this nonsense,ā Uthmeier wrote while discussing the case.
DeSantis delivered a similar message during a Jacksonville appearance.
āYou have a right to go out there and criticize government policy,ā the governor said, while stressing that physically attacking law enforcement officers crossed the line.
He added a phrase that quickly became attached to the case: āThis is not Minneapolis.ā
For Cruz, however, the case has moved beyond political speeches and viral arrest footage.
She has now admitted guilt in federal court. The Justice Department says she assaulted officers working during an immigration operation, including punching the FHP trooper and striking federal officers as they tried to arrest her.
What remains unknown is exactly how much prison time she will receive.
The 20-year figure represents the maximum possible federal sentence, not a guaranteed outcome. As of the Justice Departmentās June 18 announcement, no sentencing date had been scheduled.
What started with Cruz holding up a phone to record police activity has therefore become something much more serious: a federal felony conviction, a public apology and a sentencing decision that could shape the next several years of her life.
