Learn easy tips for crafting these spicy, cheesy Mexican-inspired Poblano Poppers appetizers that are sure to be a hit. Watch them disappear.
Spicy Poblano Poppers Recipe & Cooking Tips
The Spicy Poblano Poppers recipe is a delicious and popular Mexican-inspired appetizer.
Made with roasted poblano peppers stuffed with a flavorful mixture of bacon, cream cheese, and spices, these poppers are bursting with flavor.
They are a perfect choice for spicy appetizers and are often served as tasty finger food at parties.
The recipe takes about 35 minutes to make, including prep and cook time, and yields 6 stuffed peppers.
The poppers are made in the oven until the stuffing is hot and the peppers are nicely browned.
If you’re a fan of Mexican cuisine or enjoy stuffed peppers, these Spicy Poppers are a must-try.
They are sure to become one of your go-to recipes for flavorful and satisfying appetizers.
So let’s dive into the details of how to make these delicious poppers!
Why We Love This Poblano Poppers Recipe
- Bold Flavor Profile: Spicy poblano poppers pack a punch with their bold and robust flavor, making them a favorite among those who crave intense taste experiences.
- Heat Variability: Poblanos offers a moderate level of heat, providing a perfect balance for those who enjoy spiciness without overwhelming their taste buds. The heat can be further customized by adjusting the filling or accompanying sauces.
- Creamy and Cheesy Goodness: The creamy and cheesy filling inside poblano poppers adds a rich and indulgent element to the dish, creating a delightful contrast to the heat of the peppers.
- Crunchy Texture: Whether baked or fried, the outer layer of poblano poppers achieves a satisfying crunch that enhances the overall texture of the appetizer, creating a delightful mouthfeel.
- Versatile Fillings: Poblano poppers offer endless possibilities for fillings, allowing for creative culinary experimentation. From cream cheese and cheddar to bacon-wrapped variations, there’s a version to suit every palate.
More Appetizer Recipes For You
Makes 6 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
What You’ll Need
- Poblano peppers, halved with seeds removed
- Olive oil
- Cream cheese softened
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Bacon, finely chopped
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
For exact measurements, please see the printable recipe card below.
How to Make Spicy Poblano Poppers
To make the spicy poblano poppers, follow these easy steps:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cut off the tops of each poblano pepper.
Cut them in half and scoop out the seeds.
Place them on the baking sheet.
Bake for 5 minutes, until the peppers are just beginning to soften.
While the peppers are baking, stir the cream cheese, 1 cup of cheddar cheese, bacon, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
Remove the peppers from the oven and carefully spread the cream cheese mixture in the center of each pepper.
Top with remaining shredded cheese.
Return the pan to the oven to bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the cheese on top is melted and the peppers are cooked.
These jalapeno poppers are an easy and delicious appetizer option.
The cheesy filling combined with the mild spice of the poblano peppers creates a flavorful treat.
Serve these poppers for your Super Bowl party and watch them disappear!
Printable Recipe Card and Nutritional Values
- 6 medium poblano peppers, halved with seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 strips bacon, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut off the tops of each poblano pepper and cut them in half.
- Scoop out the seeds and place them on the baking sheet.
- Brush them with olive oil.
- Bake for 5 minutes, until the peppers are just beginning to soften.
- While the peppers are baking, stir the cream cheese, 1 cup of cheddar cheese, bacon, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and carefully spread the cream cheese mixture in the center of each pepper.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Return the pan to the oven to bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the cheese on top is melted and the peppers are cooked.
Amount Per Serving Calories 374Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 87mgSodium 610mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 16g
Variations and Serving Suggestions for Poblano Poppers
One exciting variation to try is substituting jalapenos for the poblano peppers, for those who prefer a spicier kick. The jalapenos lend an extra zing to the dish, while still maintaining the cheesy goodness and crispy texture.
If you’re looking to switch up the filling, consider using a combination of crispy bacon, caramelized onions, and a medley of flavorful cheeses. The smoky notes from the bacon and the sweetness from the onions add a delectable twist to the traditional recipe.
For a heartier option, stuff the poblano peppers with a mixture of ground meat, such as beef or turkey, and a blend of aromatic spices. This savory filling adds a satisfying depth of flavor to the poppers, making them a substantial finger food that will leave your guests wanting more.
To enhance the taste experience, serve your poblano poppers with a side of salsa or a dipping sauce of your choice. The fresh and tangy flavors of salsa complement the rich and cheesy filling perfectly, while a homemade chipotle mayo or ranch dipping sauce can add an extra layer of creaminess and spice.
Whether you choose to stick with the classic filling or venture into new and exciting variations, poblano poppers are guaranteed to be a hit at any gathering.
These delicious and versatile appetizers are not only party favorites but also make for scrumptious and tasty finger food that can be enjoyed as a quick and easy snack.
Follow us on Pinterest and PIN IT FOR LATER!