Elevate your tacos with a flavorful blend of spices crafted right in your kitchen with our homemade taco seasoning from scratch.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Making your own taco seasoning from scratch is a simple yet flavorful way to enhance your favorite Mexican dishes.
By creating your own blend of spices, you have full control over the ingredients and can customize the flavors to suit your taste.
Not only is homemade taco seasoning cheaper and healthier than store-bought options, but it also allows for versatility in cooking.
Skip the store-bought spices and make your taco seasoning at home.
You most likely have all the spices on hand, and if not, they’re easy to get!
The perfect combination of Mexican flavors for any of your taco needs and can be used in the easy Sheet Pan Beef Nachos or any of the taco recipes below.
This Recipe Is…
- Homemade taco seasoning lets you control the ingredients and tailor the flavors to your liking.
- It is a cost-effective and healthier alternative to buying pre-packaged options.
- Properly storing homemade taco seasoning in an airtight container in a cool and dark place can extend its shelf life.
- Homemade taco seasoning can be used in a variety of dishes, adding flavor and depth to your cooking.
- By making your own taco seasoning, you can enjoy fresh and flavorful Mexican-inspired meals whenever you desire.
Taco Recipes You Will Love
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Yields: About 4 Tablespoons
- American Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Cracked Black Pepper
For exact measurements, please see the printable recipe card below.
How to Make Your Taco Seasoning From Scratch
Combine all ingredients in a bowl or jar and mix well.
Use immediately, or store in the pantry for 10-12 months.
- Add a bit of cornstarch to your meat when using this seasoning for the flavor to really stick to the meat. Gives a great assist in the flavor department.
- If you’re not a huge fan of garlic or onion flavors, reduce the onion and garlic powder by half.
- If you want to add a spicy kick, add a ½ teaspoon of crushed red peppers.
- Like a touch of sweetness? Add a teaspoon of sugar.
- Depending on the brand you use, 3-4 Tablespoons usually equals one packet. You can always start with 2 Tablespoons and add for your preferences.
- Once you’ve used the seasoning, you can adjust the spices to match your tastes.
- Be aware that chili powders vary depending on the country they originate from. Each one varies in spices and can drastically change the flavor of your seasoning.
Why Make Your Own Taco Seasoning?
Making your taco seasoning from scratch gives you full control over the ingredients that go into it.
Unlike store-bought packets, which may contain additives, preservatives, and excess sodium, homemade taco seasoning allows you to use quality spices without any unwanted extras.
Additionally, by making your own seasoning, you can customize the flavors to your liking.
Whether you prefer it spicy, smoky, or mild, you can adjust the ratios of different spices to create the perfect blend.
Not only does making your own taco seasoning give you more flavor options, but it is also a cost-effective and healthier alternative to buying pre-packaged options.
Full Control Over Ingredients
Store-bought taco seasoning packets often contain additives, preservatives, and high levels of sodium.
You have the power to choose quality spices without any unwanted extras. This allows you to prioritize the flavors and ingredients that matter most to you and your family.
Everyone has their unique preferences when it comes to spice and flavor.
You can tailor the blend to suit your taste. Whether you enjoy a bold and spicy kick or a milder, more subtle taste, you have the flexibility to adjust the ratios of different spices and herbs to create a seasoning that matches your personal preferences.
Cheaper and Healthier
Making your own seasoning is not only delicious, but it also offers financial and health benefits.
Creating your own blend of spices is a cost-effective option compared to buying pre-packaged seasoning packets.
You can save money in the long run, especially if you frequently cook Mexican dishes.
Furthermore, homemade seasoning allows you to control the amount of sodium and other potentially harmful additives in your food.
This enables you to create a healthier option that aligns with any dietary restrictions or preferences you may have.
Storing Your Taco Seasoning for Freshness
Properly storing your homemade taco seasoning is crucial for maintaining its freshness and flavor.
When it comes to choosing the right container, opt for an airtight option that will effectively protect the seasoning from exposure to air, moisture, and light.
One popular choice for storing spices is glass jars with tight-fitting lids.
These jars provide an excellent barrier against external elements that could compromise the quality of your homemade seasoning.
Best Practices for Spice Shelf-Life
- Store your taco seasoning in a cool and dark place, such as a pantry or cabinet. Heat and light can quickly degrade the spices, so it’s important to keep them away from direct sunlight or high temperatures.
- Always ensure that the container is tightly sealed after each use to prevent air and moisture from entering. This will help to maintain the optimal flavor and aroma of your homemade taco seasoning.
- Consider labeling your container with the date of preparation to keep track of its shelf-life. Homemade taco seasoning can typically stay fresh for up to six months when stored properly.
- Avoid storing your taco seasoning near strong-smelling spices or cleaning products, as they can affect the flavor and aroma. Spices are highly absorbent, so it’s essential to keep them away from any potential odors.
- For convenience, you can also portion out your taco seasoning into smaller containers or resealable bags. This allows you to have smaller amounts readily available while keeping the rest stored safely.
By following these best practices, you can extend the shelf-life of your homemade taco seasoning and ensure that it stays fresh and flavorful for all your Mexican-inspired dishes.
Versatility in Cooking with Homemade Taco Seasoning
When it comes to using homemade seasoning, the possibilities are truly endless.
This versatile spice mix isn’t just limited to seasoning ground meat for tacos. It can be used in a variety of dishes to add flavor and depth to your favorite recipes.
From soups and stews to casseroles and dips, homemade seasoning is a multi-purpose mix that can elevate even the simplest of dishes.
From Tacos to Soups: A Multi-Purpose Mix
While homemade taco seasoning is perfect for seasoning ground meat for tacos, it can also be used to spice up a wide range of dishes.
- Add it to your favorite chili or stew recipe to give it a Mexican-inspired twist.
- Use it to season roasted vegetables or grilled chicken for a flavor-packed meal.
- Whip up a creamy taco dip by mixing it into sour cream or Greek yogurt.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to incorporating this versatile spice mix into your cooking.
Inviting Creativity in Your Kitchen
Using homemade taco seasoning allows you to get creative and experiment with different flavors in your kitchen.
- The combination of spices in the mix provides a perfect balance of heat, smokiness, and savory flavors that can enhance a wide range of dishes.
- Try sprinkling it on popcorn for a unique and flavorful snack.
- Mix it into your breadcrumbs for a seasoned coating on fried or baked foods.
The versatility of homemade seasoning opens up a world of creative cooking ideas for you to explore.
- 1 Tablespoon American Chili Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- ½ Teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl or jar and mix well.
- Use immediately, or store in the pantry for 10-12 months.
Amount Per Serving Calories 22Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 194mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 2gSugar 0gProtein 1g
Making your own taco seasoning from scratch is a simple and rewarding way to enhance your cooking.
With full control over the ingredients, customizable flavors, and cost-effective and healthier options, homemade seasoning is a game-changer in the kitchen.
By storing it properly and using it in a variety of dishes, you can enjoy fresh and flavorful Mexican-inspired meals whenever you desire.
Whether you like it spicy, smoky, or mild, you can adjust the ratios of spices to create the perfect balance for your dishes.
In conclusion, homemade taco seasoning is a fresh and flavorful option that surpasses its store-bought counterparts.
By investing a little time and effort into making your own seasoning blend, you can elevate the taste of your favorite Mexican dishes and explore new culinary horizons.
So, say goodbye to those pre-packaged packets and unlock the true potential of homemade taco seasoning in your cooking.
Follow us on Pinterest and PIN IT FOR LATER!