U.S.-Iran Firefight Puts Gulf Oil Route Back on Edge
The shaky pause in the U.S.-Iran war just got a loud wake-up call. The United States launched fresh airstrikes on Iran early Thursday, and Tehran answered by targeting U.S.-allied countries across the Gulf, including Bahrain, Kuwait and Qatar, according to the Associated Press. Sirens sounded in Kuwait, Bahrain, and Qatar, activated alerts, and Jordan later reported incoming fire as well. The latest exchange threatened an interim deal meant to cool a conflict that has already rattled shipping lanes, oil prices and governments far beyond the Middle East.

The fight centers on the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow but vital waterway that serves as a giant fuel tap for the global economy. Before the war began with U.S. and Israeli strikes on Iran on February 28, about one-fifth of the worldās traded oil and natural gas passed through the strait, AP reported. That is why every missile, drone, and warning in this story comes with a price tag attached.
A Fragile Ceasefire Meets a Very Loud Test
The latest escalation followed attacks on three tankers in the Strait of Hormuz. The U.S. blamed Iran for the ship attacks, while Reuters reported that Iran had not claimed responsibility. Either way, Washington treated the tanker strikes as the line that had been crossed. U.S. Central Command said its forces launched new strikes to āfurther degradeā Iranās ability āto threaten freedom of navigationā in the strait.
President Donald Trump framed the strikes as payback. āThis is in retribution for yesterdayās bombing of ships by Iran. If it happens again, it will get much worse!ā he wrote on Truth Social after leaving a NATO summit in Turkey. Earlier, Trump said the fighting would not turn into a long campaign, telling reporters, āAnything that happens is going to happen very fast,ā while also suggesting the U.S. could ājust finish the job.ā
But Trump also made the diplomatic picture murkier. Asked about the status of the interim ceasefire, he said, āFor me, I think itās over.ā He added that U.S. representatives could continue talking with Iran, but he was not optimistic: āThey can talk, but I think theyāre wasting their time.ā
Iran answered with its own hard line. Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf, a key negotiator in talks toward a permanent deal, wrote on X: āAmerica still hasnāt learned that bullying and breaking promises are no longer cost-free. Let me put it plainly: If you strike, youāll get hit.ā Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi also pushed back, saying Trumpās remarks āare not a sign of power but an admission of the failureā of U.S. policy toward Iran.
The Gulf Gets Pulled Into the Crossfire

Thursdayās retaliation did not stay neatly between Washington and Tehran. Kuwait said falling debris wounded one person after its military shot down three ballistic missiles, a cruise missile and 10 drones. Bahrain said it intercepted incoming fire. Jordan said all incoming fire from Iran had been intercepted, while Iranian state television said the Revolutionary Guard fired missiles at a U.S. base in Jordan. AP reported there was no immediate word of damage in Qatar.
The U.S. military said it had ended its latest round of airstrikes after hitting about 90 targets across Iran. Central Command released footage that appeared to show strikes on an airport runway and missile launchers. Iranian state media reported explosions in several places, including Bushehr, home to Iranās nuclear power plant complex, and southern port cities. Iranās Health Ministry said two days of American airstrikes had killed at least 14 people and wounded 78, most reportedly members of the armed forces.
The timing made the whole moment even more delicate. Negotiations for a final deal were expected after the funeral rites for Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who was killed at the start of the war on February 28. The talks were supposed to tackle the hardest issues: fully reopening the Strait of Hormuz and rolling back Tehranās disputed nuclear program. Instead, the region got another round of missiles, warnings, and emergency alerts.
Oil Markets Hear the Boom

Energy markets reacted exactly how nervous markets usually react: fast. Reuters reported that crude prices settled nearly 5% higher Wednesday after Trump threatened fresh strikes. Brent crude rose $3.86, or 5.2%, to $78.02 a barrel, while U.S. West Texas Intermediate climbed $3.08, or 4.4%, to $73.52.
The AP also reported that U.S. gasoline prices ticked up to an average of $3.80 for a gallon of regular, according to AAA, though that remained below the month-ago average of $4.16. The problem is timing: crude prices do not hit gas pumps instantly, but if oil stays elevated, drivers usually feel it later.
Shipping experts sounded just as uneasy. International Maritime Organization Secretary-General Arsenio Dominguez warned against putting crews in unnecessary danger. āAs long as the safety and security of crews cannot be assured, I urge flag states, shipowners, operators and all relevant authorities to avoid exposing seafarers to unnecessary danger by transiting the strait,ā he said. āThe situation in the region remains volatile.ā
Jorge Leon, head of geopolitical analysis at Rystad Energy, put the market mood plainly: āTanker traffic through the Strait of Hormuz has essentially stopped, which tells you more about risk perception right now than any statement from Washington or Tehran.ā He added that oil markets reacted quickly to the renewed geopolitical risk.
That is the real story beneath the explosions. This is not just another round of military chest-thumping. It is a fight over a waterway that feeds the global economy, a ceasefire that may or may not still exist, and a diplomatic track that keeps getting drowned out by incoming fire.
For now, both sides are still leaving a small door open to talks. But every strike makes that door harder to see through the smoke.
