Move over chocolate and vanilla, there’s a new kid in town! This Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream recipe is so good, it’ll have you asking for seconds.
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy for more info.
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
Move over chocolate and vanilla, there’s a new kid in town!
This Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream recipe is so good, it’ll have you asking for seconds.
Mint chocolate chip ice cream is one of the most popular flavors in America.
You know it because it’s rich and creamy, with just enough mint for flavor. Trust us, your taste buds will thank you.
And now you can make this delicious treat without an expensive machine thanks to our easy no-churn recipe so all ingredients are right at your fingertips (and doesn’t require any difficult cooking).
Mint chip ice cream is one of those flavors that you can never have enough of.
You know how it goes; when they’re gone, you want more!
Well, this recipe will make sure your mint-lovers dreams come true without running into any problems with supply or taste (or both).
The best part about making fresh homemade ice creams?
There’s nothing better than getting all indulgent on a warm day by eating an entire bowlful straight out of the carton.
But not before adding some toppings like chocolate and whipped cream.
(Yields 1 quart)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Freeze time: 6-8 hours
Mint Chip Ice Cream Ingredients
- Heavy cream – The colder the better.
- Sweetened condensed milk – Also cold preferrably.
- Mint extract – Not Peppermint extract.
- Green food coloring (or more if desired)
- Milk chocolate chips – I like to use good chocolate Ghirardelli chips.
For exact measurements, please see the recipe card below.
No Churn Ice Cream Supplies
How to Make Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
In a mixing bowl, whisk the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Do not over whisk.
Once soft peaks are formed, add milk, and mint. Mix slowly to avoid splashing over.
Add 1/4 teaspoon of food coloring. Fold in gently. Add more if you desire greener.
Fold in milk chocolate chips.
Pour mixture in a bread pan and freeze for 6-8 hours or overnight.
More No Churn Ice Cream Recipes
- Red Velvet Ice Cream (Cream Cheese Ice Cream) – Have you ever had cream cheese ice cream? This Red Velvet Ice Cream dessert is made with a base of rich, creamy dairy products. It’s the perfect after-dinner treat for anyone who loves sweet flavors and decadent desserts.
- Peppermint No-Churn Ice Cream – With a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time, you can make this no-churn peppermint ice cream from scratch.
- Air Fryer Fried Ice Cream Recipe – Air Fryer Ice Cream – A scoop of vanilla ice cream, coated in flour, egg white, and cinnamon sugar cereal, then “fried”! Fried ice cream is heavenly!
What is the Best Chocolate Chips to Use
To make the most of your chocolate experience, use good quality chocolate.
I like to mix semisweet and milk chocolates together for an amazing flavor in every bite!
Ghirardelli chips are my go-to whenever I bake. However, you can also chop your own chocolate from a bar or block.
Mint Extract vs Peppermint Extract
While mint extract (think thin mints) is harder to find than peppermint (think candy canes), there is a huge difference.
Mint extract is the way to go if you’re looking for a less intense flavor.
Peppermint extract contains significantly more menthol, which gives it a much spicier taste than plain Mint Extracts do.
If you are unable to find mint extract and can only find peppermint extract, use less than what the recipe calls for.
How Long Can I Store The Ice Cream
Ice cream is a delicious dessert that tastes best within the first two weeks of making.
After that, it begins to harden and get covered with ice crystals.
Be sure to keep the ice cream covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container to prevent freezer burn.
There are additional items that you can add to the Mint Chocolate Ice Cream recipe to make it even better (in my opinion!)
- Chopped mint Oreo cookies – You can either mix these in after chopping them up or just add them to the top for extra mint flavor.
- Andes Mint candies -You would do the same with these as you do with the mint Oreo cookies. Chop them up and mix them in before freezing or just add to the top.
- Chocolate Syrup – Drizzle chocolate syrup on the top before freezing or before eating.
- Whipped Cream – For added flavor, whip up a batch of homemade mint whipped cream. Before whipping the heavy cream, add a 1/2 teaspoon to it for a fun minty whipped topping.
Why Mint Choco-Chip Ice Cream
Mint chocolate chip ice cream is not only delicious, but it’s also very popular.
In fact, the 4th ranking spot on this list means that many people think along these lines too!
The menthol added to an otherwise hot day can be refreshing when you need something cool and creamy after being out in summer heat all morning long.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp mint extract
- 1/4 tsp green food coloring (or more if desired)
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Do not over whisk.
- Once soft peaks are formed, add milk, and mint. Mix slowly to avoid splashing over.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of food coloring. Fold in gently. Add more if you desire greener.
- Fold in milk chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture in a bread pan and freeze for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Scoop into your favorite dish or ice cream cone.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon Basics Nonstick Baking Bread Loaf Pan, 9.5 x 5 Inch, Set of 2
Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
Glad® ClingWrap Plastic Food Wrap - 300 Square Foot Roll - 4 Pack (Package May Vary)
Mixing Bowls with Airtight Lids, 20PCS Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls Set, Nesting Bowls with 3 Grater Attachments & Non-Slip Bottoms, Size7, 4, 3, 2, 1.5, 1QT Bowls for Baking&Prepping
Amount Per Serving Calories 502Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 20gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 94mgSodium 114mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 1gSugar 46gProtein 8g
This easy homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe will have you enjoying ice cream in no time!
The next time you’re enjoying a bowl of this refreshing summer treat, take a moment to appreciate its royal origins.
In 1973 Princess Anne and Captain Mark Phillips were married. To celebrate their wedding, Marilyn Ricketts created this delicious treat as part of a dessert contest and mint chocolate ice cream was the royal winner.
It’s so delicious and a billion times better than store-bought. There’s nothing like the perfect cold treat on hot summer days.
Be sure to follow us on Pinterest and PIN IT FOR LATER!