This festive Cranberry Sauce Upside-Down Cake is moist and bursting with tangy and sweet flavors, making it the perfect treat for family holidays and gatherings.
Savor the Sweetness: Cranberry Upside Down Cake Recipe
Don’t let any extra cranberry sauce go to waste!
Looking for a delightful dessert that combines the tartness of cranberries with the sweetness of cake?
This festive cake is moist and bursting with tangy and sweet flavors, making it the perfect treat for family holidays and gatherings.
The recipe calls for simple ingredients like sugar, cinnamon, cranberry sauce, eggs, flour, baking powder, vegetable oil, vanilla, and salt.
Leftover cranberry sauce can be used in this recipe, making it a great way to utilize any surplus.
The cake can be served as a dessert, enjoyed during afternoon tea, or even indulged in as a special breakfast option.
Absolutely! You can use either store-bought or homemade cranberry sauce for this recipe. If you have leftover homemade cranberry sauce from Thanksgiving or Christmas, it’s a great way to put it to delicious use.
While we recommend following the recipe as closely as possible for the best results, you can make a few substitutions if needed. You can use melted butter instead of vegetable oil, and you can also experiment with different types of fruit preserves or sauces in place of cranberry sauce.
Yes, you can freeze this cake! After it has cooled completely, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container. It will stay fresh in the freezer for up to three months. When you’re ready to enjoy it, simply thaw it at room temperature for a few hours or in the refrigerator overnight.
This cake can be made a day in advance. Once it has cooled completely, cover it with plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container at room temperature. The flavors will continue to develop, making it even more delicious the next day.
While we recommend using a 9-inch round cake pan for this recipe, you can also use a similarly sized square or rectangular pan. Just make sure the pan is greased well and adjust the baking time accordingly, as different pans may require slight variations in baking time.
Cranberry Sauce Upside Down Cake
Makes 15 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for the Topping:
- Butter, softened
- Brown sugar
- Chopped pecans
- Whole berry cranberry sauce
For the Cake
- Baking powder
- Ground ginger
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground cloves
- Unsalted butter, softened
- Brown sugar
- Large eggs
- Fresh orange juice
- Orange zest
Pro Tip: If you want to add a little extra kick to your muffins, try adding a pinch of cayenne pepper to the dry mix. It will give your muffins a subtle and spicy flavor.
How to Make Cranberry Upside Down Cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Stir together the softened butter, brown sugar, and chopped pecans. Spread the mixture in the bottom of the pan.
Layer the cranberry sauce over the top of the sugar mixture and set the pan aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition.
Beat in the orange juice and orange zest.
Add the dry ingredients and milk, alternating the two ingredients and beating after each addition, until all the ingredients have been added.
Carefully spread the cake batter over the top of the cranberry sauce in the baking pan.
Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool in the pan for around 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges carefully invert the pan onto a serving dish, and allow the cake to cool completely before serving.
This Cranberry Sauce Upside Down Cake is a moist and flavorful dessert that can be enjoyed on its own or with a dollop of whipped cream.
Its tangy cranberry topping perfectly complements the sweet cake, making it a crowd-pleasing treat for any occasion.
Leftover cranberry sauce can also be used to enhance this cake.
Simply spoon small dollops of the sauce onto each slice before serving, adding an extra burst of cranberry flavor.
This cranberry Sauce Upside Down Cake is a delightful treat that combines the tangy flavors of cranberries with a sweet and moist cake.
By following these simple steps, you can create a beautiful and delicious dessert that will impress your family and friends.
Serving and Storage Suggestions
Once your Cranberry Sauce Upside Down Cake is baked to perfection, here are some serving suggestions to make it even more enjoyable.
Whether hosting a holiday gathering or simply treating yourself, these ideas will elevate your cake experience.
- For an elegant touch, dust the cake with powdered sugar before serving. The delicate white powder creates a beautiful contrast against the vibrant red cranberry sauce.
- Serve each slice with a dollop of freshly whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The creamy texture complements the tangy cranberry flavors, creating a delightful balance for your taste buds.
- For a festive twist, garnish each slice with a sprig of fresh mint and a few extra cranberries. This not only adds visual appeal but also enhances the overall freshness of the dessert.
Should you have any leftovers (which is rare with this irresistible cake), here are some tips on how to store them properly:
- Allow the cake to cool completely, then carefully cover it with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container.
- Store the cake in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. A pantry or cupboard works well for short-term storage.
- If you foresee the cake being stored for more than a day or two, it is best to refrigerate it. Simply place it in the refrigerator, still covered, and consume it within 3 to 4 days for optimal freshness.
Utilizing Leftover Cranberry Sauce
Here are a couple of ideas to repurpose it:
Create a delightful breakfast treat by spreading the cranberry sauce over warm toast or freshly baked scones. The tartness of the cranberries adds a burst of flavor to your morning meal.
Incorporate the cranberry sauce into a batch of muffins or pancakes. Swirl it into the batter or use it as a topping for a delicious twist on your favorite breakfast classics.
Enjoy the versatility of cranberry sauce and experiment with different ways to use it in your favorite recipes.
This sauce adds a tangy and sweet touch to any dish, from desserts to breakfast delights.
|Serving Suggestions||Storage Suggestions||Utilizing Leftover Cranberry Sauce|
|Dust with powdered sugar||Cool completely then cover with plastic wrap||Spread over warm toast or scones|
|Serve with whipped cream or ice cream||Store in a cool, dry place||Incorporate into muffins or pancakes|
|Garnish with fresh mint and cranberries||Refrigerate for long-term storage|
More Cranberry Recipes
- Easy Cranberry Orange Fluff Recipe
- Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- Cranberry Cream Cheese Crescent Rolls
- Cranberry Raisin Monkey Bread Recipe
- Cranberry Walnut Chickpea Salad Pinwheels
Printable Recipe Card and Nutritional Values
For the Cake
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup milk
For the Topping:
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir together the softened butter, brown sugar, and chopped pecans. Spread the mixture in the bottom of the pan.
- Layer the cranberry sauce over the top of the sugar mixture and set the pan aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition.
- Beat in the orange juice and orange zest.
- Add the dry ingredients and milk, alternating the two ingredients and beating after each addition, until all the ingredients have been added.
- Carefully spread the cake batter over the top of the cranberry sauce in the baking pan.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for around 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges carefully invert the pan onto a serving dish, and allow the cake to cool completely before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 218Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 44mgSodium 162mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 1gSugar 22gProtein 3g
Bring a burst of flavor to your holiday table or any gathering with our Cranberry Sauce Upside Down Cake.
A delightful treat that combines the richness of cake with the tanginess of cranberries.
Our Cranberry Sauce Upside Down Cake recipe offers a delicious blend of tart cranberries and sweet cake.
This festive cake is moist and bursting with tangy and sweet flavors—a perfect treat for family holidays and gatherings.
This moist and decadent cake is a beautiful centerpiece that will surely impress your guests.
Made with love and the perfect blend of ingredients, our Cranberry Sauce Upside Down Cake is a must-try recipe.
The cranberry sauce layer adds a vibrant pop of color, while the cake’s light and fluffy texture melts in your mouth with every bite.
Serve it as a delightful dessert after a festive meal, or enjoy a slice with a cup of tea for a delightful afternoon treat.
You can even indulge in a slice for a special breakfast to start your day on a sweet note.
Be sure to follow us on Pinterest and PIN IT FOR LATER!